Wednesday, July 9, 2014

National Sugar Cookie Day


Have you noticed? My blog has been so "quiet" lately - no cards, no posts!

I had a great trip and even managed to get over jet lag, but I've been way too busy getting ready for my next trip, so haven't been creating or blogging.

That being said, I do have some words to share with you today, in celebration of a little known holiday.


National Sugar Cookie Day



Today is National Sugar Cookie Day, a day when people all across America are celebrating a simple yet delicious cookie. But for me it’s a bittersweet day. My grandmother was known for her sugar cookies. She baked huge batches often and shared them with her family members, neighbors, church children, and more. In fact, she was so well known for her sugar cookies that when the great-grandkids started arriving, we all started lovingly calling her “Cookie Grandma” in our family. And, of course, Grandpa became known as “Cookie Grandpa,” I guess because he got to enjoy so many of her sugar cookies. ;)

Grandma has been gone many years now, but I still miss her… and not just for her sugar cookies. She was one who I could count on for a hug, a loving word of encouragement, and so much more. I always felt well loved!

As a young child, sometimes things at home didn’t go as I wanted them to and I’d think, “I’ll just run away from home!” Then I’d quickly realize that the only place I could think of to run to was my Grandma’s house… and that was the first place my parents would think to look for me.

I’d still like to run to Grandma’s house – not that things aren’t going well at my home, but it sure would be nice to get a hug and one of those sugar cookies… and just sit and enjoy conversing with my Grandma again!

I love you, Grandma! x0x0x0

1 comment:

kiwimeskreations said...

Oh the people we miss as we get older and they pass on to Glory. The tragedy is that we don't often truly appreciate them until they are gone.
Blessings
Maxine